Monday, July 7, 2008

Rear view mirror mod



Reason for doing:
The interior light in the drivers side foot well of the YJ is useless.
Difficulty: 2 (Scale of 1-5 Five being hardest.)
Cost: $15

Tools used:
Torx wrenches
Wire crimper
Power screw driver.

Process:
Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. (Always a good idea when working on the electrical system.)

First remove the old mirror, this is done with a single screw, then just lift up.
Next put the new mirror in, reverse of removal. The mirror I bought was from an old (90 something) chev but I am sure there are many other alternatives sitting in your local wrecker.

I ran the wires from the mirror up to the top of the window frame, the down and around the windshield using some of the same kind of conduit that is used to route wires under the hood, and some screw in wire clips. I screwed these in using self tapping sheet metal screws every 4 inches.

The mirror has 3 wires, a hot wire and 2 grounds. so that the light can come on when the doors open, or from the switches on the mirror. I only connected 2 of the wires, so I can switch the lights off at the mirror for running without doors.

As you can see from the pictures, this gives it a nice industrial look.

Problems encountered:
Tried to hook into a bad ground on the door switch.

Would I do it again?
Sure. It was an easy mod, and really lights up the interior and I can easily shut off the lights when running without doors..

No comments: