Sunday, June 22, 2008

Side trail lights.


Reason for doing:
When out wheeling sometimes it gets dark before I get back to a main road, making it difficult to see around corners.
Difficulty: 1 (Scale of 1-5 Five being hardest.)
Cost: $25

Tools used:
Open end wrenches
Wire crimper

Process:
Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. (Always a good idea when working on the electrical system.)

The first step was for me to mount the driving lights behind the bumper facing out. I found two small holed already drilled into the bumper that were in the perfect place. I used stainless steel stove bolts to hold the lights in place.

I was lucky enough to get a kit that came with a complete wiring harness, and followed the instructions. I bolted the included relay to the battery tray using one of the existing bolts.

The only change I made was to connect the trigger wire to the switch to the side lights, to the switched side of the existing trail lights. With this done the side lights can not be turned on unless you first turn on the main trail lights.

Problems encountered:
Accidentally broke a wire to the main trail lights.

Would I do it again?
Sure. It was an easy mod, and really lights things up when driving at night.

No comments: